Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Can I be Grandpa's Dad?

Pax has been really into figuring out how everyone is related. It is a lot to remember and can be very confusing. Yesterday he asked me, "Who is Daddy's Dad?" We have discussed this before and it is a lot to remember. He is especially interested in how someone can be a brother to dad but an uncle to him, etc. ... kind of a complicated concept. I think all of this comes from Uncle Jamie moving home and Paxton trying to figure out where he fits into the picture ... Dad's brother, Paxton uncle, etc.

I thought he had it all understood but then we had this conversation today as we were driving to the park ...

He was kind of just talking to himself ... "When Dad was little his Dad was Grandpa Hector. Dad is my Dad when I am little... (long pause) Mom? Can I be Grandpa's dad when he was little?"

Smart to try and link everyone together like that. It is a confusing thing ... so I explained that Grandpa is still Dad's Dad even though he's big now and that it was nice he would want to be Grandpa's dad but he already has one but someday when he is as big as his dad he can become a dad too. He just got real silent and thought about that ... then we got to the park and he totally forgot about the subject.

No comments: