Thursday, January 31, 2008

OUCH!

We say it all the time around here ... he's our wild one, the clumsy one who is always ahead of where his feet are going. So it shouldn't be surprising that Tyler split his chin open and needed stitches. Here's the story ...

It was about 6 p.m. on Monday night and the boys had just finished dinner. Bryce was gone at an appointment he had in Rock Springs (not knowing before he headed over the interstate was pure ice) and I figured I'd get the boys showered and ready for bed so we could just relax when he got home. So they headed in there. I ran downstairs to grab a new soap since their soap was all gone and heard Tyler crying. I got to the bottom of the stairs and looked up and Ty is standing there wet and dripping blood. So I run him back into the bathroom to figure out where the blood is coming from. The underside of his chin is split open about 3/4 of an inch. So I ask Pax to hold the towel on Tyler's owie while I grab the phone to call Bryce. That's when Pax freaked out because he didn't realize Ty was so hurt. He was a huge helper though. So I get Bryce on the phone and later find out that he accidentally hit it onto speaker phone and was in the middle of Home Depot. I thought I was pretty calm but he said I definitely sounded panicked. So I tell him that Ty needs stitches and he says to wait for him to get home because the roads between Green River and Rock Springs (where the hospital is) are a solid sheet of ice. So Bryce heads home at 20-30 mph but sends his Dad down to help ... THANK YOU GRANDPA! Tyler is really tough though and calmed down really quickly. I put a bandaid on it and tried to close it up the best I could. The medical center here couldn't see him and so we called the E.R. and they said they would normally stitch something like that up but it wasn't worth risking the trip over. So we liquid bandaged it and butterfly bandaged it closed. He is so tough and seems a little proud of his "big owie."

I haven't had Ty take a bath since the big incident since I wanted to keep his cut dry and let it close up. So tonight I wanted him to get in and he is scared of the tub. He told me it would make his bandaid come off. He did get undressed finally since he saw Zoe and Pax in there so when I went to put him in his toes touched the water and he said, "I can't! I can't!" So I didn't make him. Poor kid! The bathtub used to be his favorite place in the house.

2 comments:

Trav, Crystal, Carson, Cooper, and Chasely said...

Poor Ty. That sounds like quite the adventure. I think it is the worst feeling to know that your kids are in pain. Glad you guys are doing better now.

Christy said...

I wish Marin got scared of the things that hurt her. She split her eye open in the tub a year ago and nothing could keep her from getting back in. I still make her sit back down everytime she stands up to play while in the tub. Poor little guy. He sounds tough going through all of that!